School of Social Work
Certificates and Credentials
* Application Information for Spring 2017
Post-Masters PPSC Now Available:
Please see below *
The following certificates and credential are available for current SJSU MSW Students and/or Post-MSW Students who meet specified requirements. Those interested should contact the School or the designated representative regarding their particular interest.
Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC)
* Application Information for PM-PPSC Now Available *
Graduates of our PPSC programs will qualify to be credentialed as school social workers by the state of California. This PPSC is only valild in California. T he PPSC is obtained in School Social Work and Child Welfare and Attendance. T here are two ways the Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) is offered at SJSU’s School of Social Work:
(1) Current SJSU MSW Students. The PPSC may be obtained by current SJSU MSW students who complete the necessary courses and internship, pass the CBEST, and who meet the PPSC program requirements. Students must accept placement in an approved PPSC program school setting for their second year practicum. If you are a current SJSU MSW student interested in earning a PPSC, please contact the Field Education office. If you want to be in the SJSU MSW Program, please visit here:
(2) Post-Masters, School of Social Work Program. The School of Social Work is proud to offer an Online Post-Masters Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC) Program. Students in this program must already have an MSW from an accredited social work program. We are not currently accepting applicants with masters degrees from other fields (i.e. MFTs, MAs, etc.).
* Application Information for Spring 2017 PM-PPSC Now Available *
Please refer to the following documents:
The curriculum model includes two 10-week courses running in sequence (not concurrently) and an internship in an approved PPSC program school setting. All other PPSC Program requirements must also be met. We expect that future application periods will open (subject to change):
– February 2017 for April 2017 class start
– October 2017 for January 2018 class start
– February 2018 for April 2018 class start
Please check back closer to the stated application opening periods for updates and active links for an application portal.
Spanish Language Counseling Certificate
Certificate in Gerontology
(In partnership with the SJSU Gerontology Program)
Post-MSW Social Work Licensure
Students graduating with an MSW degree from an accredited social work program are eligible to accrue hours towards the LCSW, ACSW, and other social work licenses. Hours obtained prior to obtaining your MSW degree (e.g. practicum, paid, and/or volunteer experience) do not count towards licensure.
The Forensic Human Services Certificate Program
The Forensic Human Services (FHS) Certificate Program offers participants six non-credit courses to qualify for a certificate from the School of Social Work. Social workers, psychologists, nurses, probation officers, individuals holding a MFT or other counseling degrees and others who are enrolled in educational degree programs (bachelors or graduate) will benefit from this program. This program is a collaborative effort in conjunction with Santa Clara County Social Services, Department of Families and Children Services (DCFS).
Courses will be available either as hybrid or completely online. Participants can also receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs). CEUs are based on number of hours allocated for each course (20-30 per course). Completion of the six courses is required in order to obtain the FHS Certificate. Registration of individual courses also is also available.
Click here for more information about The Forensic Certificate in Human Services
Click here to access general application form.
Click here to access Santa Clara County form.